Sunday 17 April 2011

Influence - by Joseph Norris


I came across this poem on 'Influence' written by Joesph Norris the other day. It has fulfilled its mission and influenced me deeply. I hope all of you, my dear readers, feel some empathy with these words too.

Drop a pebble in the water,
and its ripples reach out far;
and the sunbeams dancing on them
may reflect them to a star.

Give a smile to someone passing,
thereby making his morning glad;
it may greet you in the evening
when your own heart may be sad.

Do a deed of simple kindness;
though its end you may not see,
it may reach, like widening ripples
down a long eternity.

1 comment:

  1. I like the last section best. It suggests to me that people should be kind to others, though no personal gain may be immediately realised. It reminds me of Karma, that if you do things kind, kind things will happen to you.

    It's the simple things that I find make the biggest impressions. When a driver lets me pull out in front of them. When a shop clerk smiles. All of these things improve my day, so I make sure I do the same to others.

    ReplyDelete